It’s the most wonderful time of the year! But it can also be very dangerous for your home. With deliveries getting stolen off of porches, or people leaving their homes to visit family for the holidays are a major target for thieves. Keep you home safe this holiday season with these tips.
Always plan in advance:
- Ensure that your alarm is in working order. December is traditionally a busy period for security companies so homeowners should test their alarms at least three weeks before going on holiday and should the system require servicing this should be arranged as early as possible.
- If you have pets, ensure that they are well taken care of by a family member of friend whilst you are away. This means ensuring they have adequate food and water on a daily basis for the duration that you are away
- Ensure that there are no points of access to your home which may need security
- Inform your neighbour/s of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property while you are away.
- Try to stop all newspaper and other deliveries (if applicable) and arrange that someone collects your post while you are away – An overflowing mailbox indicates that you are away and therefore not attending to your mail.
When it’s time to leave your home, always ensure the following:
- Always pack your car in closed space, preferably the garage if you have one. It is important to be discreet when packing your car for a vacation and not do so openly when people are around in the neighbourhood.
- As contrary to belief, it is not advised to leave your lights on throughout your entire vacation. Although, this may seem as an effort to make it look like someone is home, this will only increase your electric bill and it also looks suspicious if the lights are on during the day on a daily basis.
- Never leave a message on your answering machine or voice mail stating that you are out of town
- Ensure that all electricity points/sockets are off before you leave your home. Also make sure all electrical appliances are switched off such as televisions, computers, toasters, kettles and so on.
- Do not leave gadgets or other technological devices visibly lying around in your home
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbour in case of an emergency.
At Stonebridge Mortgage we are dedicated to making sure you end up in the home of your dreams. If you need any buying or financing for your home or office, we are here to help. Check out all Stonebridge Mortgage’s services.