Winter is here and if you do not have central heating in your home a space heater may be your only option. But they can be quite hazardous if the proper steps for safety are not taken. Here are a few safety tips for space heaters in your home.
- When buying a new space heater, make sure it carries the mark of an independent testing laboratory and is legal for use in your community.
- Keep all combustible materials away from portable and space heaters.
- Place all space heaters at least three feet away from furniture, walls, curtains or anything else that is flammable.
- Plug your electric-powered space heater into an outlet with sufficient capacity and NEVER into an extension cord.
- Turn off space heaters whenever the room they are in is unoccupied or under circumstances when manufacturer’s instructions say they should be turned off.
- Portable space heaters are easy to knock over in the dark, so turn them off when you go to bed.
At Stonebridge Mortgage we are dedicated to making sure you end up in the home of your dreams. If you need any buying or financing for your home or office, we are here to help. Check out all Stonebridge Mortgage’s services.