Increasing the safety of your home may seem like a large task. The truth is, there are many simple tasks you can do around your home to increase the safety of yourself and your loved ones. These tasks will protect you from harm and allow you to feel more relaxed in your home.
These tasks can be accomplished quickly and on your own, without the help of a professional. Even these simple, do-it-yourself safety tips can make your home more secure and safe.
- Prevent your pipes from freezing. No one wants to deal with the pain of replacing a pipe that’s busted due to water freezing. You can make sure pipes that are turned on stay above 32 degrees Fahrenheit by adding extra insulation or keeping cabinet doors open for better airflow.
- Be prepared for an emergency. Get a 72-hour kit for your home and car in case of an emergency.
- Test your detectors. Test carbon monoxide and smoke detectors monthly by holding the “test” button until you hear the loud siren. If it’s silent, replace the batteries or purchase a new detector.
- Have a fire escape route. Add fire escape ladders in all second-story and higher rooms. In case of a fire, make sure everyone knows the safest and quickest escape route.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher. Check the pressure gauge to see if the needle is in the green. If it’s outside of this zone, replace or service it. Also, examine the hose and nozzle for cracks, because you’ll need to replace your fire extinguisher if the locking pin on the handle is missing or the handle is broken.
- Protect against electrical surges. Ensure electrical outlets are covered and not overloaded. Add protective coverage if children are in the home.
- Install a water alarm. Having a water alarm in your basement will help prevent flooding.
- Monitor gas and water measurements. Know where your gas and water are measured and where the shut off valves are in case of a leak.
These are just a few easy ways you can protect both your home and your family. Your home is your greatest investment. Giving your home extra attention and care will mean that your home is better able to protect you.
Looking for help with mortgage services? You can rely on Stonebridge Mortgage Group!
For professional assistance with mortgages, look no further than Stonebridge Mortgage Group. You can rely on Stonebridge Mortgage Group to help guide you through the home buying process. If you’re ready to apply for a loan and want to go through the process online, Stonebridge Mortgage Group offers online applications. We also help get you pre-approved for a mortgage and help with your real estate loans and other mortgage solutions, both residential and commercial. Stonebridge Mortgage Group serves the greater Portland area and are in Gresham, Oregon. Don’t wait to get quality assistance with buying your home!